Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Cycle

Probably one of the more painful, albeit interesting, things to witness in SL is the cycle. By that I mean when someone comes to the point where they realize that very few people are their friends and that very few people have their back.

No, I'm not talking about myself. In both worlds, I'm a person that dispenses friendship, true, enduring friendship in small measures. The few I have mean the world to me and thats that. It's just a dynamic I grew up with and has been reenforced occasionally in my life.

So whats the better way? To give of yourself freely and without hesitation or playing it very measured? I think the answer is both and as individual as the person is. I got to be the way I am and other people are the way they are. It's all good!

It's hard to see someone struggle inworld. During the conversation it dawned on me that the ever present silver lining was in effect. I told my friend, "be grateful that you know them in this context rather than RL." Frankly, I don't know if that statement was of any comfort, but some how it made sense to me.

People can be such shits. I know I can. I have always attempted to be upfront with people. If I do something harsh, I'll tell you why. If I fuck up, I'll cop to it. One thing I will not do is play both sides and the middle at the same time. That's just way too messed up.

Big changes are on the horizon. I think the Bistro's toast. It's sad but then again, its the cycle. While its true than some stops on the cycle are more challenging than others, they all have something to offer.

3 comments:

Parker said...

All in a cycle. It is so true. I am just glad some cycles are more pleasant and last longer. Thank you.

Bitter Chocolate said...

Most of this is true in RL aswell. One of the greatest qualities of SL is how it makes several aspects of RL so much more visible... or at least that's what I think.

bigd Flanagan said...

Thanks for showing that insight. And thanks for visiting Bitter. Come again :)