Monday, December 22, 2008

So Long

End of the semester are times of transitions. You get used to one group of students in a class and poof, they are gone. I was/am so fortunate in the kids I see and the two guys I team-teach with. Like I've said, I really like my job. Mr. D and I collaborated, of course, on the following letter to our 10th grade World History class. Good kids, I'll miss them.

Friday, December 19, 2008… our last “World History class” but an ending is really only the beginning of something new. However, before we go our separate ways, there are a few things I would like to share. Although, this is Mr. D's my third year as a teacher, and Mr. F's 15th … watching you learn, helping you find pieces of yourself, watching your world expanding before my vary eyes .. And still we are filled with awe.

As it was in the beginning, at the end of the school year we write for our students. It is a time to reflect on where we have been and where we are headed next. As we reflect on our semester with you, We really realized that we truly belong in this practice. Reflecting through writing is a powerful experience that changes both the writer and those who read the words. And now, from us to you, here are a few rambling thoughts …

This is what we want to share with you now --- in these final moments together --- the power each of us has to influence other and the world. Remember this, “you are a shaker, a mover and a builder of society” all you must do is be engaged. Do not stand in the side lines of life. We think about the last few weeks and what we hope you have learned and experienced, that you have gained something of value by the time we have “used” on each other.

Here are a few secrets we can share: (a). There is no substitute for hard work and if you will commit yourself to doing whatever is necessary, regardless of whether you receive a momentary payment or even a positive recognition, then you will do what’s right. (b). Know that the joy is in the doing, in the getting there, in the process. Everything is a process – learning, doing, living … it is all a process. (c) Embrace the in-betweens, the unknowns, the letting go, and good fortune will guide you through those moments of darkness. Listen within and you will find your way and know what to do next. Be personal. Be true to yourself.

It is time for you to move on. This piece of excerpts summarizes what I, Mr. D, feels about my role in your education and the role I have played in your lives:

The teacher said, “Come to the edge.”
The students replied, “We are afraid.”
The teacher said, “Come to the edge.”
The students replied, “But we are afraid.”
The teacher said, “Come to the edge.”
They came. He pushed them, And they flew.

You are my little eagles. It is time for you to fly and you are ready to take the next step. Be fearless and embrace life – everything is possible. And remember, take nothing for granted and know in your hearts that you once had a teacher who cared about you, who wanted the best for you, who believed in you, who was proud of you, and who respected you.

Enjoy life.
Laugh often.

So that was it. It took about 3 minutes. Some parts of the farewell message were his and some were mine. Part of their final was a reflective essay on what they had learned in World History. Many of the kids wrote the nicest things. Not fluffy things like you are my fav teacher but cool things that they learned this and they looked at things differently know that they knew this.

Like I said, I really like my job.....

1 comment:

Kimala said...

Sometimes I think you are as lucky to have the students you have as the students are to have you as a teacher. I'm so glad you and the team you work with make your job what it is too!