Wednesday, December 3, 2008

It's in the air.....

Something hasbecome readily apparent to me these past few days. Everybody is looking to make a buck, no matter what the circumstances, or ethics involved, off everyone else. Now I'm aware of the dynamics of the free enterprise system at work, but is there any breaking mechanism?

Let me provide an example. There is a special funding source that was created by our glorious state legislature to ensure continued quality teaching practices in our state. I guess other locales and regions call it "merit pay". Basically you are being rewarded for being an effective teacher. 1,500 bucks in your check prior to the holidays. Again I say nice, huh? Well our district has fiddled around with a way to make a buck of off our merit pay. Rather than us receiving a tidy sum to buy presents with and pay bills it has been altered that we will be receiving the aforementioned amount over 10 pay periods!!

Now please don't think I'm being another ungrateful teacher. I love my job and I'm blessed to have a job in these troubled economic times. But come on! You don't pay me enough, you mandate but do not fund, I try my damndest to always to what you ask of me.

Now you want to make a buck of the interest in my merit pay. I was looking forward to having my bills caught up to start the New Year and you even took that from me. This just sucks and is so beyond the pale.

The ultimate challenge is not become one of the faceless others that have an attitude of "you do that to me I do this to you"! Thats just pointless. It helps nuture that attitude of greed and avarice.

The only thing that comes to mind is a snippet from a Red Hot Chili Peppers song, "Lunatics on pogo sticks". Some how that makes sense to me.

Give to those less fortunate this Holiday Season! It's more important than ever.

5 comments:

Me said...

We'll that friggin sucks.

Teachers make a difference to so many..

And they're one of the least appreciated jobs.

Asshats.

Yamis Jewell said...

That just plain old sucks rocks. Your anger and frustration is well founded. I'm so sorry.

but wow...you get a bonus...hmmmm

I don't think i'll ever catch up on my bills.

oh look - there's the spring tuition bill now - woops!

Kimala said...

hey D - We'll get through it - we always do :) The nice thing is we remember what is important and are thankful for what we have. Abundance baby!

bigd Flanagan said...

Thank you ladies :)

Parker said...

Okay, I am in a frenzy over this now. My first frenzy lead to an article on hate. My new one is on waste in this country. My next one is on the way educators are treated.

I think I found my niche in writing, Injustice. Kimala is right, you will get through this. You have what you need. what matters most.