Saturday, November 29, 2008

What a Life.....

This past thursday I got a phone call at 5:38 a.m. My parents are older and when I get that adrenaline rush of being awoken by a phone call that early.....it sends ya.

Well, it was my Mom who told me that they wouldn't be coming to Thanksgiving at Kim's folks. Mom said she wasn't feeling that well and she was sorry.... Of course I was disappointed at not seeing them but relieved that nobody was in a bad way.

One of the many reasons I love my wife is that she instantly thought that I should drive up to my folks place and bring them some turkey dinner. My two oldest told me they wanted to go also. So after our meal was concluded and sufficient playground time was enjoyed by the twins, we drove home and then the boys and I went up to Prescott.

It was a nice, fall drive. Lots of lightning! The boys and I laughed about a bunch of different things. It was nice.

We got to my folks house. They were glad to see us and I was glad to see them. I gave them their containered Thanksgiving meal. It was about 8 p.m., so they opted to have it for lunch the following day. We spent the night there.

I had an interesting conversation with my Dad. He is not the tall guy with the jet black hair and the big, strong hands that would swallow mine up when he held my hand, but he is, and will always be my Dad. But when he hugs me, his generation have gotten a lot more comfortable affection wise it seems, I can still sense the same essence that I have always felt.

He is really sad and frustrated with the condition of our country. He volunteers at the VA in Prescott and comes into contact with vets from WWII up through the Iraq War. He says this sentiment is pretty pervasive. What frustrates these men the most? Not what you may think.

One thing the military ingrains in you is the number 1 rule: you look out for the other guy. My Dad is a living personification of this pedagogy. He threw his back out raking up leaves for the ladies across the street. Oh by the way, Dad is 83. Its that way with him.

It just seems to him that our country and society is just lousy with me firsters. My Dad feels that I "hit the jackpot" when I met and married Kim. And it's not only Kim's looks. It's what is inside of her, the sense of wanting to help and consideration of other people at all times.

I still try to make my Dad proud of me. He thinks being a teacher is great. As he puts it, "not selling my soul for a buck". But its hard, my pay lags, especially in this state. My folks are always there to help. Kim's folks are always there to help. They look out for us. We do our best to look out for them.

So this anxious holiday season, if you are wracking your brain over finances or what to buy someone, here's an idea. Look out for the other guy. Throw a couple of limited supply bucks into a Salvation Army kettle, buy a sandwich for a homeless person, whatever comes to mind.

I've already received so many gifts. Let me tell you about one. Kim puts lunch money into our oldest sons school lunch account. It seemed like he was blowing through this cash rapidly. He's growing so fast these days, we thought he was doubling up on lunches. Well, he was.

A friend of his, their family is having hard times and could not put send him to school with money or food. Lunch became optional. Not in my sons eyes. He started buying this kid lunch until his family could start providing lunch for him. I can honestly say that that was my first Christmas gift of 2008. Its a wonderful gift. One of the best I have ever gotten.

I told my Dad about Zach's act. He was quiet and his eyes got watery. He slapped me on my knee and said,'the boy gets it." Yes he does.

This holiday season expand your shopping list to include everyone. Look out for the other guy.......

4 comments:

Bradley said...

Great post as always, D. I sometimes wonder if the "me first" phenomena is only pervasive here in CA. Sorry to see it's happening everywhere. The good side is that there will always be people like your kid. You've done a fine job there.

Kimala said...

D your post warms my heart. It is the real spirit of everything I hope to focus on from here on out... in 2008 and beyond. Thank you for reminding me of the good seeds that have been planted in our son, and hopefully our other children as well.

It is said that we inherit all the blessings and sacrifices of the generations before us. I feel blessed to have inherited all that both our families have sacrificed.

bigd Flanagan said...

Beautiful responses from you two. You guys warm my heart!

Parker said...

/me dabs her eyes once more with her already moist handkerchief.

I always get a bit teary when I read your posts where you talk about your family and loved ones. You were taught well and you and your beautiful bride have instilled within your children the same qualities. It is seeing this that makes me ever more hopeful of the future as we have some great leaders being molded.

Thank you!!!