Monday, November 17, 2008

The Lull

Is it just me or does there seem to be a general lull in the blogging world, or at least that little corner I inhabit? Even those diligent bloggers have hunkered down and their output is somewhat diminished.

So what can it be? The impending holiday season? People stretched and stressed to the max? Well yes, yes and yes.

A lot of people I encounter, even myself have a sense of uncertainty about them. Not rudeness or detachment but a sense of "I dunno". Times are tough, that can not be denied. Our kids friends are losing their jobs. Everything seems have a stamp of transition about it.

I read a book long ago called The Fourth Turning. Can't remember the author(s)right now. I'm sure you could google it. The basic premise is that history and society evolve in four primary cycles. Even the art of parenting is governed by these four premises. Interesting stuff.

The point is that we are evolving. The young ones today are going to fill a role that their grandparents or great grandparents served. They will be looked upon as one of America's greatest generations. It's interesting to think of the dynamics at play.

They will smile when they think of their parents generation obsession with materialistic concerns. We are a self-obsessed banal lot overall. They will live the creed of MLK's vision of America being a nation concerned with people rather than things.

I can't wait to watch it unfold. It fills me with hope to see a generation start to get it right. Hopefully it does you too. Have a great Monday.

4 comments:

Bradley said...

I agree that I see a huge lull in the blogging world, myself included. In fact, my blog today is about whether or not I should continue blogging. I check some of the blogs that use to be incredibly busy and see a scant number of comments. I don't know what is going on.

Yamis Jewell said...

Swamped - family. Swamped - work. Swamped - school. Swamped - life. Time to write for pleasure? Low on the priority list - I've got a dissertation to work write. I wish I had more time...anyone got some extra hours they are willing to share??

note to self - find a min or two to update the blog...

Kimala said...

Ditto for Brad

Ditto for Yamis

I have been so overwhelmed with just making it through day to day my personal blog got lost in the process. I'm excited about my work blog though - and all the Web 2.0 tools spinning there. I think maybe a blog is an ebb and flow kinda thing - at least I hope it is... before I yammer on more and more I'll head on over to my own blog.

Parker said...

I closed Parker's blog for a while in order to start one which would be public for my writing. I still have Parky's Pub blog open and perhaps after I am a best selling author I can re-open The Life Of Parker.