Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Information is power people !!!! LOL

Got to love my students. They delight in showing me some of the oddest websites. School appropriate always, of course.

Here's how to look tough in a rough neighborhood...

Sometimes it is the illusion of strength that can get you out of a
tight spot. Looking scary in a rough neighborhood may save you a lot of
unwanted attention and keep you safe. If you look scarier than potential
perpetrators, chances are people will leave you alone.


Step1
Consider wearing a hooded sweatshirt or hooded coat with the hood
pulled over your head. When people can't really see your face, they are
more wary of approaching you. With your hood up and your head down, you
become an unknown quantity on the streets.

Step2
Look people in the eye if they approach you. Looking away is
always viewed as a sign of weakness. Feeling safe is a matter of
displaying confidence.

Step3
Talk to yourself as you walk. When people think that you are
mentally unstable, they have a tendency to leave you alone. This may
sound silly, but making people nervous before you allow them to make you
nervous is a valuable weapon when you have no other defense.

Step4
Walk confidently and determinedly without smiling. Walk tall with
your shoulders back and chest out, exuding confidence that you may not
feel. Even if you are lost, look and walk like you know where you are
and where you are going. Confidence is the most intimidating thing that
you possess under these circumstances.

Jeez...all these years I thought I was some kinda badass. Amazing what step 3 can do for ya :)

4 comments:

Bradley said...

Before I moved to LA I came here on a business trip. I had to go to a very rough part of town and the cab driver gave me good advice, which is #3 on your list. He said to walk in the street and act crazy and everyone will leave you alone. Fortunately I never had to walk far so I didn't need to use this tactic. Besides, I think I act crazy enough anyway.

Me said...

So..walk like a New Yorker? Rofl

Yamis Jewell said...

you are a badass!!

Parker said...

Don't know if I can look scary. Perhaps Blissie can teach me how to walk.