Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A piece of paper

Life is an amazing journey for us all isn't it? As I awoke this morning, I did my morning ritual of plurk, facebook, google.com analytics, gmail, etc.

Our house is a sea of small pieces of paper. With 3 kids in elementary school, we get notices, flyers, newsletters, and other bits of communication. Ads I sat at the computer waiting for the coffee pot to finish its task, I looked at the floor at yet another piece of paper that made its way to the floor. It was the familiar pink strip variation.

I picked it up, flipped it over and read the following: On Friday, November 21st, we will be having HAT DAY at school! For a donation of $1 or more, the students and staff will be allowed to wear a hat to school. Proceeds will benefit the Miller Family....Kim Miller, 29, mom to two wonderful children at Palm Valley Elementary, is battling Stage 4 Colon Cancer! Thank you in advance for your support! PTO Then there was some contact information.

Of course our kids will take donations irregardless if they wear hats or not. Before I read this piece of pink paper, I thought about how much I have to do today. No longer. I am grateful to this small piece of pink paper for focusing me on how little I have to do.

Today is our oldest 13th birthday. Our family is healthy. We love each other. I love my job. Life is good. We will help this family.

5 comments:

Bradley said...

Interesting how some things help put your life in perspective when you least expect it. Happy to hear things are going so well and a big Happy Birthday to the new teenager.

bigd Flanagan said...

Thanks Bradley :) I'll pass on those birthday wishes....

Yamis Jewell said...

If you have health and love you have been blessed.

Kimala said...

Life is so crazy the way it just pops up with reminders of how blessed we are right when we need it. I thought about my life at 29 and our 2 young boys at that time when you told me about the hat day note. I can't imagine coping with colon cancer on top of it all.

We are blessed. We will most definitely help them. Always good to have the reminders.

91225

Parker said...

Little things mean the most to me because they usually have the biggest message. Celebration of life as a wee one marks a grand day and the reminder of how much we do have in a small slip of paper. It takes the acknowledgement of these things to really make them count.

You are a very rich man indeed.