Thursday, May 1, 2008

Boy am I.....

SPENT!!

I am very tired on a lot of levels these days. I have taken some deserved smack talk for not blogging in so long, so this is what you get.

Teaching is a weird way of life. Your body does get in some weird 9 month cycle. Not that everything turns shiny on the last day of school, you just move into another realm of activity.

In my 14, damn thats a career!!, of teaching I have never been this tired at this point of this year. Everyone feels worn out at this stage of the game, that is to be expected. I just feel spent. I feel tired constantly and yearn for lack of contact with people from my chosen profession. Don't say I'm burnt out cause it doesn't feel that way.

The most tiring thing about teaching high school is not the students, its their parents!! OMG, i was reading a report that detailed a students prenatal care when they were in vitro and right there it said, smoked two packs of cigarettes daily throughout the pregnancy! How f'ed up is that? Or the parent that I have had well over 90 plus phone calls, emails since early winter. I feel like I'm this persons therapist. And at no charge. Jeez.....

May 23rd is our last "official day" of this 2007 - 2008 school year. I don't care where you are on 5/23 but listen quietly at 2:20 PST and you will hear me scream with unbridled joy!! Plus I'll write more then :)..

5 comments:

Kimala said...

/me synchronizes every clock in the house and updates every calendar so we can appropriately count down to May 23.

Believe it or not D - even though I don't get a summer any more as a teacher - I still count it down too (moment of silence please for my loss of summers as a teacher). The chaos of school days and homework and projects and "oh my god I need this by tomorrow morning" and "you forgot to put lunch money in my account" and MOST importantly - no more PRESCHOOL TUITION - will all be a welcome relief.

Hang in there :) I'm counting with you.

91225

Me said...

Awwww. :)

I'm going to take summer vacation too.

We can surf all summer.

Bradley said...

I never realized you were a teacher. 14 years? Wow, you should get a medal. That's probably more difficult that 14 years in the military.

Glad to have you back blogging. I look forward to reading more.

bigd Flanagan said...

14 years in the service of education or a reasonable facsimile is not that big of a deal. 13 years of marriage is a big deal is our disposable society. Not kicking someones ass at Super Walmart is not only a big deal but also a good thing. Having a great wife and four fab kids is beyond a big deal.

It has altered my life in a direction that has made me a more thoughful, better person. Not perfect, but overall better.

Not having a direct corn sales entreprenuer in my neighborhood have pushed me occasionally to the depths of despair. Hee Hee.

Bradley said...

No life is complete without a corn man.