Thursday, May 15, 2008

Running on a Spot

Towards the end of the year, school year it is, strange things happen. People are more appreciative and say and share thnigs that aren't usually forthcoming during the long 9 month grind. This is very true of a segment of my clientile.

Many young men , ages 14 - up, have no dad at home. It is just part of the landscape of contemporary American society. I think by default, in some fashion, I fall heir to this defacto position. Among my "sons" are African-Americans, Chicanos, other sundry Hispanics, Anglos, Asians and blends of all the aforementioned. My "sons" are athletic, musical, depressed, lost, etc. They can walk or they can be confined to a wheelchair.

They desperately need a male figure in their life. They aren't too demanding really. They want to talk about sports, movies, music and even if they feel safe, their feelings. But they just need that contact and that sense that they are ok, and an older male sees value in them. I see value in them.

You can sense anxiety mixed with relief this time of year. Relief that it is all about to end for another year and anxiety that we will not see each other for about 10 weeks. It is not said out loud but we both know it is on the table. I'll tell them to be safe, have fun but don't get crazy. They'll nod and some will shake my hand. Some will even hug me.

Even though it is the close of another school year, I look forward to the start of next year. Not for idealistic, fresh start reasons but just for the simple fact of my "sons" filtering in to say hello and connect once again. Have a safe and sane summer boys.....

3 comments:

Kimala said...

I am so thankful those boys have you - young men really. They need male role models. You're a blessing in their lives D.

But - to keep being that force in their lives - you need to recharge too. I'm glad you'll have some respite with just our own gang. They love and adore you too and that down time in the summer means the world to them too.

It's good to be home babe :) 91225

Parker said...

Let me push Kimala off the soapbox I just dusted off for her to use. Oh, heck, you two will just have to share.

Once upon a time I was an Juvenile Offender Counselor and the main thing those kids needed for the most part was a positive male role model. In other words, they needed a You in their lives. You are a good man and your kids are truly blessed to have you, as are the young men you work with day-to-day.

keep up the great work!

Bradley said...

once again I am touched by your post. I couldn't think of a better role model that these young men have.