Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Time moves on but the memories are eternal

Our oldest son has been home ill the past two days. He is feeling much better now. When he is home alone, because he is a big 12 year old, I come home during my lunch to make sure he and the house is alright. I think this reassures both of us in a way. Reassures me in that he is ok and that he is taking the necessary steps to feel better. Reassures him in that I am always just a few minutes away and he is doing the right things.

As I arrived home, he was fast asleep on the couch. I sat by him on the ottoman and just took it all in. Our little guy has grown so big and is on the cusp of being a teenager. I was struck by how much his face still had that look he had when he was still in the crib and was fast asleep. As I stroked his hair and placed the blanket more snugly around his shoulders, he sighed the same exact sigh of contentment when he had finished nursing with Momma. God, that took me back about 4 light years to a smaller grey house in a beautiful little valley. What a gift life unfolds for us as we age.

As many of you know, I am a teacher. End of the year in my English class is poetry time. I do not consider myself a poet by any stretch of the imagination. I enjoy doing it with the students. We are currently looking at African poetic forms. Specifically African Praise Poetry. Here is a poem I wrote about the big guy who slept on my chest his first night home. As we both age and progress through life, I will look into his eyes, scan his profile and see that little person and her his measured breaths that were in perfect harmony with my own.

We did African Praise Poem today in English. Check out my Zachary poem
I wrote in front of the class to model....

Zachary
Carried in love by his Mother for 9 months
Caught by his father in a quick minute
Tan and many heritages
12 and tall as hell
Quiet as the breeze whispering
through the tall mountain pines
Lover of Games
Friend of Canines
Loves Music, Mom, and singing
Kind Soul, laughter and learning

he does rock :)

3 comments:

Kimala said...

This is beautiful Dave. Zach is such a blessing. A challenge, yes. An amazing person in his own right, most definitely.

It is also important to note he gives a kick-ass foot massage :)

Thanks for capturing those moments in time - life moves awfully fast sometimes.

91225

Bradley said...

You brought a tear to my eye. I live 1500 miles away from my daughter and look forward to my planned move to be closer to her. You've made me sad that I'll miss another year but anxious to go.

Beautiful poem for a guy who says he's no poet

bigd Flanagan said...

Awww very nice you two! I appreciate your kind words. I have many muses to draw upon. Different ages, different backgrounds, different outlooks, all human and all good... Thanks again.