Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My 100th post!!!

I have hit the century mark. I didn't know what to blog about when I noticed that I had reached this milestone. I am somewhat glad that I have managed to maintain some sort of consistency. I'm really grateful that Kim got me into blogging, so thanks for that hun.

Prior to the fab four, when there was only the wonderous one. Kim and I used to write quite a bit. We used to take fantastic creative writing class with Mary Sojourner who used to give us these fantatsticv writing prompts that you could just take off on.

I always wanted to write. I think the first time I considered this a life long journey was when I had a writing assignment in early elemenary grades and wrote something and brought it home after I got an A on it. I gave it for my Mom to read and I watched her as she read it and laughed. Exactly the response I was going for. That felt really good and it was probably the first time I thought to myself that I could entertain people via the written word. Its been a feeling that I continue to go for and still provides that sense of......I really don't know how to put it in words. Too funny......

When I was in college, I remember telling people, o.k. mostly girls, that I wanted to be a writer some day. It served as some barometer for me in some respects. If the response was negative and provoked a comment on how was I going to survive, I figured that I had information that a more in-depth conversation was probably not warranted. On the other hand, if the response was wow....thats great....what kind of stuff do you write?...or....hey, I like to write too, I figured wow this person seems interesting, cool. Probably superficial and shallow, I know but when you are young, ya get my drift.

Watching my kids develop as writers is interesting also. Nice to see them shoot for something and see the joy they get when they can elicit the response they are going for.

It really outrages me that education has become so politicized. Now it is all standards based with heavy emphasis on the 5 + 1 traits. I can understand that in terms of employability. What makes me sad is the fact that they no longer offer Creative Writing as a course selection. What a shame! That was the coolest learning environment where you would write along with your students and all would share their finished pieces together. Talk about a learning community. It was a fab class to teach also. Damn I miss that environment.

So, in a sense, I guess blogging connects me to that feeling that happened so long ago. I don't say well this is what I want to do when...... I say this is what I'm doing now that I am......

Thanks for being along the journey with me. I write for something inside of me but you guys are the frosting on this cupcake:)

9 comments:

Sweet Sarah Jane said...

Hi. I'm not a surfer.. but I live on Lake Erie, and I've heard that in November Lake Erie has some of the best waves in the world. But God help you if you're out there in November -- it's freezing! Anyway, I stumbled into your blog by accident, but I read some, and I'm going to read the rest too.

I lost a really good friend in February. His name was Raz. He was 32 and he died from an arrhythmia caused by a hereditary enlarged heart. He was a young, healthy person. He was a huge guy, and we all knew he had the biggest heart of all... we just didn't know it was literal. He was just standing there one second and, in the next second, dead before he hit the ground. We had a Viking ship burning for him this summer.

I used to be a writer. I haven't written in a very long time. I like to write novels, and I'd like to write a children's picture book now. I know what you mean, though.. about... about writing. It's special to me too.

I don't usually do this. I don't surf the web and find random stuff or read about people. But I kind of like the idea of getting this glimpse into a stranger's life. I just like learning. So, I think it's neat that I got to learn a little bit about somebody I didn't know. And now you've learnt a little about me too!

bigd Flanagan said...

Sweet Sarah Jane....

I'm so touched that you read and contributed to my blog. Losing someone under any circumstances is difficult. Whether it is life ending or a relationship or someone just saying that it isn't clicking anymore. It's tough, to be sure, but when one door closes, another one opens.

Thanks again for stopping by SSJ. You gotta blog for me to check out? Hope to hear from you soon. TC

Parker said...

The poet in you is that gentle side that people see in you. I would love to read your work someday. Perhaps if you ever have the time to create your own portfolio on WDC I will be able to read and review you gift and talent.

You keep on writing, I will keep on reading...with enthusiasm.

Me said...

Happy 100th!!!

Glad to have you in the blogosphere, baby!

Bradley said...

Happy Birthday, D. I'm damn glad you started blogging. You are an excellent writer and I look forward to seeing when you have a new post.

Keep up the good work and remember...we'll always have Paris.

Kimala said...

*sneaks around Bradley so you'll give me a kiss instead of him... I know how you two are about Paris* :)

Dave - I am so glad you joined me in the blogsophere along with all the other crazy web things I drag you into: del.icio.us, plurk, SL, linked in, facebook,... blah blah... You are an amazing writer and have always had a way winning me over with your writing. :)

I'm so glad others are finding you too - Sweet Sarah Jane, welcome! She will find a lot in all you have to offer the world through your eyes and heart you share so openly here.

91225

bigd Flanagan said...

You people are just too nice.... Bradley, the meories will be eternal LOL

bigd Flanagan said...

The memories too....

Meghna said...

Congrats on achieving this milestone. I'm sure there are many many wonderful posts to come. Keep up the good work!