Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A tremendous departure

I like the idea of being unexpected. In a good way mind you:)

Our twins have a reading log that needs to be filled out with 40 books. Thats 40 X 2 mind you. Of course we are going to do it. We are teachers and we do our homework without fail. as for myself, its usually a last minute thing. I have deluded myself for years in thinking I work well under pressure and I'm sticking with it.

So last night we had a semi-read-a-thon. I read 5 books to both Simon and Rach. I thought it was funny and cute how Noah moved on in too to listen to me read. That is one thing I have noticed even with my students, they love being read too. I can have a class with some badass barrio kids and if I start reading they are transported to a time of sitting on the story rug once again and not concerned with representing the 'hood. Its really amazing to me.

One book last night really warmed my heart. The Big Orange Splot by Daniel Manus Pinkwater is a must read. I kid you not! It's about a heroic man named Mr. Plumbean who battles conformity with color and caring. I don't want to give it away so I will stop with any other details. Check it out!




"My house is me and I am it. My house is where I like to be and it looks like all my dreams."


Have a great day everyone.

3 comments:

Bradley said...

It may sound silly that a 44 year old man enjoys reading childrens books, but I do. I will have to check this one out.

Parker said...

Not silly at all Bradley. I, too, enjoy a good read and yes children's books are usually a very good pick. I have a doctor that when he comes into the room I am engrossed in either a Dr. Seuss book or the Highlights magazine. Oh so much better then the gossip rags they usually have.

Can't wait for this one.

Anonymous said...

I love that book :) It was shared at a PBS meeting we had today at work and I was so excited to bring home a copy. I'm glad everyone loved it as much as I did. I teased the woman who shared it about possibly distributing it to homeowner associations :) heehee