Thursday, January 31, 2008

love the song - touching images



A group of guys who really cared about each other. If you google them, you will get a lot of pictures of them smiling their faces off. Sad early demise for Bradley, their guitarist/vocalist/songwriter. Mr. Nowell had an incredible future and so much to live for but was seduced by inner demons. Interesting guy that was always open to different types of music. Vacation at age 11 to the Caribbeanean really opened up his world musically. Lived in Long Beach, CA which is a place most white surf dudes would not claim. He and his band mates claimed it with pride. Good friends with Gwen Stefani. After his death, his ashes were scattered at his favorite surf spot. No worries Brad you are at peace and the waves and music are always flawless and comforting.....

7 comments:

Kimala said...

/me sighs... never figured you for a gun owner. oh well.. i guess we do live in the wild west. smiles and figures it is official... you are NUTS. but don't worry... i still love you. :) 91225

bigd Flanagan said...

hmmmm I should have not just posted a video without some background information.

Love thois song and this group. As far as guns, I must admit I'm as conflicted as the rst of America when it comes to gun control. Bottom line: they are too easy to get and far too many flawed people have them and wreck havoc with them.

I digress, Sublime is in a fashion a microcosm of California. A group that grew up in an incredibly diverse community that placed no self-restrictions on what type of musical influences they would be open to.

Wikipedia has a very good article on them that I would recommend to anyone so interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublime_(band)

bigd Flanagan said...

Then again there is the human angle that is compelling. Goes back to an earlier blog entry: you get the $, you get the drugs, you die. From Charlie Parker to Kurt Cobain and on, and on....
Herion is the ultimate seductress. Makes people with talent think they can have more talent with its use. All the while hastening your journey to oblivion and beyond.
Violence against others or yourself is not a viable problem solving strategy. I apologize if I gave this impression to anyone. A little compassion and tenderness are far more effective than a full clip, right cross or a full syringe. Create do not destroy.....

Kimala said...

it meant a lot to me to read your thoughts behind the images and lyrics to this song. you have good insight D - i value reading those alot. and whew! you aren't planning weapons use for anything i should be worried about :)

as i said before - i still love you :)

bigd Flanagan said...

I guess this wouldn't be the time to tell you about the AK-47 right?

A JOKE...:)

Crighton Johin said...

First I read about you kicking serious ass, then an AK-47 comment. Okay, you got my attention!

;-)

Crighton Johin said...

I've just started listening to Sublime. When they came out, I think I was more or less newly sober and their music was a bit too fresh for me at that time. That doesn't bother me now, so I'm soaking it in....and loving it.