Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Take II

You know revising and editing are crucial parts of the writing process. You didn't? Well, they are! LOL I thought I would start a blog because: 1). I've been meaning to do it for 2 years and 2). I'd love to share some of my writings with you. You see before life's rich pageant included being married, to a wonderful woman who has enriched my life immeasurably and 4 subsequent little ones, I used to write and take writing classes. It's something that my wife and I did prior to taking on other roles. Life is about priorities mine being my marriage and my kids.

I really feel it is time to once again make some forays into writing. God it is so therapeutic!

I plan on writing about a variety of subjects ranging from whatever to more traditional story formats. I really would appreciate your feedback. Don't worry about offending me cause I have no idea who you are:).

First of touch of my background which I'm sure will leak into my writing. I don't know how it couldn't! i grew up in Southern California in very close proximity to the beach. All the stuff that goes with the beach lifestyle was part of my upbringing. Yes I surfed and yes I loved it. Growing up was growing up relative to any other place across this land of ours. I watched friends stay and friends go. People died and people were born. I fell in and out of love. I thought I had all answers and later realized that I had no fucking clue. LOL Such is life.....

I would have to say the cornerstones of my life were initially surfing and baseball. I was passionate about both and used both as a personal refuge from unsavory elements in my life. It worked! Baseball was very good to me and I snagged a free college education thanks to playing on a buttload of teams in a buttload of leagues when it was available. As i think back on it, it harkens me back to a bit of dialogue found in Bull Durham when one character relates about the distance that has grown between father and son. But no matter which direction each individual went, they could always connect when talking about baseball. God Damn touching in my opinion. Hell, I'm way past playing catch with my dad in the backyard that i grew up in. But you know what? When I still talk baseball with my dad there is still a part of me holding my dad's hand as we go into Dodger Stadium and I'm 6 years old again. My dad isn't all gray, his hair is jet black and my hand fits so perfectly in his palm. He leans slowly down and says into my ear, "I've always dreamed of taking my son to a ballgame." Hope you enjoy my blog....

5 comments:

Me said...

That's the thing about dads. No matter how old you get..you always feel like a little kid with them - especially when you do the things you did with them as a kid. I know exactly how you feel - my baseball training was all courtesy of my dad. My older brothers ditched him, and I was still really young and always with him. We'd go to Shea and he'd feed me everything they sold..and of course I'd fall asleep (what? There was a GAME being played?!). We went (just us) last year and he stopped EVERY vendor walking by to ask me what I wanted. The the beauty of dads..they may look older..but they're always the same at heart. :)

Blogger said...

Some of my fondest memories of childhood also have to do with baseball and my dad. He'd take us to games... he coached little league... made the school games...

But most of all, I enjoyed just tossing the ball back of forth with him on Sunday afternoon. That was a very bonding experience and it still brings a smile to my face!

I am fortunate to still have my dad around... he turned 79 this week. He won't bounce me on his knee any more, but we still have a great time. :)

Me said...

LOL! I'd love to see my dad do that now!

Maybe after his new knee..LOL

Kimala said...

Bigd - You are a wonderful dad. All those great memories you love and cherish in your own dad I see in you as a father - to not only our 3 sons, but also our daughter. So often you hear of people not really appreciating the things their parents did for them until they are gone. You are so blessed to have that perspective and be able to share that love and respect with your dad in the right here and now. :)91225

Jenda Starbrook said...

I wish I had better memories about my Dad to share with everyone, but I don't, so I shall focus on the emotion behind this entry.

D, I'm glad you've started a blog and I'm glad you're going to share your writing with us. This entry brought tears to my eyes and I'm not quite sure why. Could be the stomach flu that has me home today or it could be the fact that I'm watching a transformation take place. Whatever it is, I'm along for the ride!

As for baseball.... GO TWINS!! :P