Saturday, July 19, 2008

Check that one off

Yesterday I finished my summer gig. For the past four weeks Imentored 6 fresh graduates that are going into the teaching profession.They are doing it the non-traditional way in terms of not being education majors. They are mostly Science majors (ecology, physics, biomechanical engineering, chemistry, etc.) that come from kick-ass schools like Harvard, Texas A&M, Duke and John Hopkins.

Science Education is at a cross roads because of s severe shortage that exists. The other cool thing about these folks is that they are going to replenish the New Orleans school system and get that going again. Other destinations include Zuni Pueblo, inner city L.A. and other points.

They had to have pulled down a 3.6 GPA in their undergrad studies and it was a selection process to be placed in the program. Needless to say, I was immersed in motivated type A people the past four weeks.

At the conclusion of yesterday, as I said goodbye to the administrators who helped run the program, I noticed an envelope sticking out of my temp mailbox. Inside of it was a photo of my six soon to be teachers together. I smiled and thought about all that lies in store for them. They are all so young, about 22. They have so much lying ahead for them both in education and in their personal lives. I truly wish them well.

As I sat in my car with the A/C blasting, oh yeah the CD player too, I read some of the comments they wrote next to the photo. They said they were glad it was me mentoring them, that I was insightful, they admired me and that I encouraged them. It was alot to take in.

I think I'll give that back to them. If they can give those things to their students that they so readily gave to me, they will do great things. I'm going to email them today and let them know that if they encourage their students, show appreciation to their students, act positively in their relationships with their students and be not afraid to have admiration for their students, they will do so very well.

Our young people face so many challenges. It's amazing the impact that only one person can have in the life of one young person. So a shout out to: Colin, Erin, Scott, Liz, Allegra and Meghan. Vaya Con Dios.......

3 comments:

Parker said...

My dear one ~~ I cannot see you doing anything but bringing insight and encouragement to anyone. Well with the possible exception of someone who has wronged someone you care for and then I see you educating and inspiring them in ways that they never imagined possible.

If they learned from you, I am sure they will be most exceptional educators and people.

Bradley said...

I can't add anything to what parker said other than to agree 100%.

Kimala said...

they were lucky to have you - and you were incredible to stick with their training model. I know it was hard - but they learned so much from their own experience as a result - and your ability to question them and help them think about why they were making the instructional decisions they were making will be invaluable. Those will be tools they will carry with them as well.

:)