Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sea Food for thought

My father-in-law dropped this gem on me. Cool guy who is always looking out for us:) It comes from a reknown surfer Laird Hamilton who posits these life laws with a surfing bend. Of course I have adapted it to SL. Here we go...

#1 Know that you are a speck in cyberspace. The vastness of everything on the net (the good, the bad, and the ugly) should serve to keep things in perspective. It should help you stay grounded if you lean into it.

#2 Go Big or Go home. If you are committed to being on SL, go for broke! Get the skin, get the shape, get a house, pay some tier. Just don't pussy foot around.

#3 Listen to Your Gut. God, please do this! If someone seems kind of creepy or nice, give them time to prove it. Don't expect others to share your perspectives. Some lemons can put on a new coat of paint and get new rims and a sweet sound system, but hell, lets say this together, "A lemon is still a lemon!"

#4 Understand you are not in control. Control is a mirage within an illusion. We are trained since birth to think we can control our surrondings and are ourselves. If you are cold, turn up the heat. Or if you're hot turn up the A/C. You can control yourself and thats it.

#5 Get out there. Go out and look at something beautiful. MLK said we need to be less of a thing society and more of a experience society. Brilliant!

#6 Put things in perspective. Will someone breaking up with you in SL cause you to lose your house, suffer physically akin to an auto accident? Problems need to be understood in dire life or death circumstances. Being 80 miles off shore with no way in is a problem.

#7 Keep learning. Sometimes SL is a very difficult place. SL does not care about your bank account, your ancestry, your level of formal education. Its just you working your way through the metauniverse. The more I learn, the more I know I don't know jack...

#8 Be determined. With determination you will be successful. There is no right and wrong to learn things in SL. You get it when you get it. It's ok!

#9 Don't get stale. Ideas come out of boredom and a person desire to be passionate and motivated. You have to figure ways out to make things exciting and interesting. Inspire yourself, don't look for it in others. Keep renewing your passion.

#10 Don't judge. SL is non-judgemental. It doesn't differentiate between you and the other guy. In SL, we are all equal.

So thats it. I definately have some work to do. That's never boring to me. What do you think of the adapted list? Sound off!

3 comments:

Kimala said...

wow!! that is the coolest list!! with all the craziness you share with me late in the day - I was pleasantly surprised to learn my dad had contributed something other than stress to your day.

love the points. I want to have those and post in my office. I love your commentary too - but should probably leave that for your blog.

so..i'm just a tiny speck... i will never stop learning... and i really ultimately have no control... hmmmm :) deeeeeep thoughts. do those points apply to parenting? good lord!

Me said...

/me puts her glasses on and takes notes.

GENIUS! Just GENIUS!

Yordie Sands said...

Wow! I love lists and this is just great. It should be part of every avie's orientation into SL.

I do question the tiny spec thing though. I always thought that when I cease to exist, the Universe will also cease to exist. Hehe.