Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Lamest Survey Ever?

As I logged in this morning there was a prompt to take a survey from the Lindens. I usually bite on these. Even in RL, I feel for the people on the other end of the phone doing surveys. They are just trying to make a buck like the rest of us. I just try to balance the scales somewhat. One can only imagine the torrents of abuse they take from people not in a good space.

So I take the Linden generated survey. It was weird, pointless and more than a little silly. I was given some visual representations of avatars and told to evaluate how they made me feel on a classic Likert scale of 1 to 5. 1 representing strongly like to 5 representing strongly dislike. The medium point being 3 which signified neither dislike or like.

Mostly I answered 3. A few I gave 2's to for the following reasons: one reminded me of my 2nd grade teacher (Mrs. Bernardi) and another reminded me of a next door neighbor I had growing up (Mrs. D). Nice ladies so I gave them a 2. Only one got a 4 because she reminded me of the clown that works for the ADE.

There were these other odd avatars that looked like a papertowel roll creation. How can you strongly dislike a by product of paper towels? Not getting it.

The point is that hopefully we have evolved to a point in RL and SL that you eventually, the time duration choice is yours, base your feelings about someone based on substance rather than appearance. People will always be drawn to the attractive that is human nature. We like to think of ourselves as attractive and fear that we are percieved as unattractive. Thats human nature also.

People you like can be hurtful. While apologizing they can even be more hurtful. That is also human nature. We all make mistakes and will continue to do so. I can accept that in people. Cause I do it myself. Be careful with the words you choose, they have power. Again, I need to remember this also.

SL is a big place with room for all. I do not know what the future holds only a fool would cop that attitude. I may become a paper towel man in a paper towel world. It's probably a very clean place. Time to see some other sights I think.

B.B. King says, "May I live forever." Then he points to the crowd and says, "May you live forever and a day." Smart man that B.B.

2 comments:

Kimala said...

Papertowel man? You could be on to something. Maybe a new sim just honoring paper products.

Happy Tuesday. Glad you didn't use the one liners I've heard you use in the past on phone surveys :) AND - I can't wait to see the ADE rep avitar... Hoo!

91225

Parker said...

Well I must say BigD, you always know how to put a smile on my face. I have also been getting some surveys from LL, but none as interesting as yours.

Kimala, I think you may have a grand idea there for a SIM.