Saturday, June 14, 2008

Sudden Departures

I, like many others, was saddened by the passing of Tim Russert. I always enjoyed his show and commentary. He was insightful and always fair. Fairness and balance seem to be rare commodities in today's media onslaught.

Russert's passing was sudden and unexpected. Kimala and I spoke at length on this topic. We weighed which departure would be hardest on a family, etc. There are no easy answers on this one.

We have made a conscious decision to always bless one another when we go about our different ways in the morning. It's a family tradition that Kimala started and I am grateful she did!

Life contains an ever-present degree of uncertainty that we all face. I think that if you keep this fact in mind it creates a paradigm shift in your behavior towards others. Being aware that there is a possibility, however remote, that this could be the last time you see, feel and smile at that person before creates an urgency to show your love and caring for that person.

To have a relationship abruptly halted would be a tragedy. To end it on a sour note would be haunting. Love those around you for they are just passing through. We are not immortal. We are not indestructible.

My challenge is to transfer more of this realization into SL. In my wanderings with others and alone I have come across a few memorial sights for avi's that have passed. Or more appropriately, the RL person behind the avi. I may not say blessings on you when you or I say goodnight and log, but I will be thinking it. Have a great weekend.

5 comments:

Kimala said...

I always knew eventually your softer side would show D :) You really DO like people :) heehee

Tragedy has been so prevalant recently it seems. We do just all need to be kind to one another. Silly games and hatefulness seem to be way overrated and a horrid way to leave things - in RL or SL.

91225

Kimala said...

I ran across this in another blog I read regularily... just another example of how fragile we all are... http://girlwonderspeaks.blogspot.com/

bigd Flanagan said...

I'll check it.....

Parker said...

Still waters run deep. An adage that truly fits BigD, as well as the label Gentle Giant. You have a way of bringing simple things to light as they are so often lost and forgotten.

I had a friend who used to travel on weekends for work and he had an old friend who went into the hospital and wanted to go see him before hitting the road. He didn't have time and figured he would go on Monday when he arrived back home. When he arrived back home on Monday he learned his friend passed away over the weekend. He later told me that he made the conscious decision then that when ever a friend or loved one was on his mind he would drop everything he was doing and at the very least go to the phone and call that person.

I try to do that myself now and from time to time let people know how I feel about them. You just never know. One thing so many don't know about me is that I very rarely use the term 'friend'. I only say it when I mean it. So if I say "good night, my friend" I am in essence telling you that you are special to me.

So, my friend, thank you for sharing your "softer", deeper side here.

Joonie said...

Wonderful post. Thanks for sharing your Dad with us. I feel like I know him and am better for it. :)