Thursday, August 28, 2008

Another good one and some occasional oddness

Well....yet another great Bistro event. Tauri was great, Cat's art is so wonderful. Nice people and a very nice time. The good part of SL was in full effect. The good part of life in general was in full effect.

The more time I spend in this place, the closer the distance comes between this world and that world. They are really interchangeable at times. Mega times.

I'm so ready for a three day weekend in both places. Time to take care of stuff and just kick it. I like college football so that is a plus.. Go Cal Bears! Still waiting for that magic first morning when a sense a change.

Ok, thiis post is a hodge podge. I'm claiming it. today, in one of the worlds, I was at an inservice. It was good, cool people, kinda fun. A few, guys actually, broke off and went to Chipolte. The conversation was typical guy faire, you know sports, politics, kids, teaching :). The conversation took a turn for the odd when a participant declared," I love my wife but......."

So we go around the table and each guy presents his laundry list: shes jealous, shes self-absorbed, shes let herself go, she is boring. Made me sad but I dunno, but I imagine these women could generate some lists of their own y'know?

So the next topic, and btw I passed on go round #1, was I should have married,,,,, Answers included: A Hispanic girl, A Asian girl (thats a wide swath). Reason of answer: they know how to treat a man. The conversation didn't make me mad just created this feeling of silent sadness. So they look at me and I just say,"I got nothing man." They smile and make a joke, quasi respectfully of me being married so long I'm desensetized. Whatever dudes.

What really slapped me across my face was the bagging of someone publically. How bush is that? Theoretically they love this person, at least the ring on their finger should signify that. Why in the world would you say that, hey I think I screwed up and allow me to introduce exhibit A, B, C and D.

This just struck me with a matter of fact sadness that I just can't shake. Why do we treat each other without civility? Not only strangers, acquaintences and friends, but even those we have made a huge committment to.

Sure, its human to feel the occasional resentment and wonder about what if. But leave it at that. Don't make it a topic of conversation. Have some respect for the other person. Fuck, have some respect for yourself and the committment you made in the past. See you in some kind of world soon....

5 comments:

Parker said...

I give you a great big hug for being a REAL man.

Things like that conversation about wives makes me sad as well. Be it husbands or wives doing the talking. I may not have a husband, but I had great role models in my grandparents. What made their relationship so strong for more then 40 years was they never had a harsh word for each other or about each other.

A real man (or woman for that matter) finds the best in their mate and brings it out and only speaks of those to everyone else. He takes the lesser traits and helps her/him improve but speaks of those to no one else.

Cherish the good you have and brag at every chance you get.

Me said...

80% of men are asshats.

And that's the only answer.

Except..my dad..Nick and you. LOL!

:)

bigd Flanagan said...

Wow....Thanks Bliss. Kicks my asshat that I wear occasionally into the corner by the kids toys.

Bradley said...

I agree with parker that it takes a real man to stand by his wife in a moment like that. Peer pressure would have lured most men to become involved. Kimala is very lucky to have a man like you and I know she knows it.

Kimala said...

I am lucky :) I just was slow in responding. I have to tell you he actually called me to relay this conversation to me right before we had more really frustrating news about work. Sometimes God is just looking out for us in such totally obvious ways... my spirit couldn't take much more in terms of work disappointment and his call seemed to lessen that.

People in general just need to be more respectful of each other, and kind too each other. Despite disagreements and disappointments, it is important to honor those we have made committments to.

Thank you D