Saturday, August 2, 2008

Cusp of beginning.....

I'm and countless others are nearing the cusp of a new school year. Teachers are like anyone else, they are the good, the bad, and the ugly. Again with the 1/3 breakdown on life. It's so there.



As the process/journey begins anew I talk with colleagues, students, parents. I ask them what they consider to be key ingredients of a successful year. This is what my questioning has generated. It's cool stuff I think.



Smile: its more attractive than the finest designer clothes.



Think "kaisen": its a Japanese word for an entire philospohy, one that means "continuous improvement'." Self improvement is something you sneak up on. You make headway the same way your hair grows, when no none is paying attention.



Read: its one of lifes great pleasures. It opens up new worlds, expands your imagination and teaches you ways to cope with the challenges of life. Charles Eliot said, "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends, the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers."



Laugh at life: its serious business indeed but there is always humor in it. It's way more fun to laugh than to cry.



Feel lucky: The ever present cynic may say, "Expect the worse, and you'll rarely be disappointed." The optimist expects to find a pony in a pile of manure. Start each day with a sense of anticipation and good things are likely to follow.



The answer is "Great": Often when people ask,"How are you?" they keep passing without even waiting for the reply. Which is all the more reason -- the next time someone asks you-- for you to bellow back: "Great!" Soon, people will be smiling automatically when they see you because they know whats coming. It might be beyond great.....

4 comments:

Kimala said...

I love this D. I'm adopting "kaisen"... I think it must be my way of life and I just never had a name for it. And, as for the person who finds a pony in a pile of manure, would that be me?

One of the things I miss about being a teacher is the back to school newness. It is kind of like a Happy New Year. It is a time to start over again, with a clean slate. It is fresh. It is a time of making new goals. Developing high expectations. It is a time of nervousness - but good nervousness. It is a time when everyone is curious about everyone else, a little shy, a little unfamiliar, and a time to catch up with those you had a break from for a little while. Other than the scortching heat... I must say... it is one of my favorite times of year.

Cheers D. It is going to be a good year :) Kaisen... Kaisen.... Kaisen...

Bradley said...

You've given me something that I need to place on my bulletin board. Always nice to be reminded that life is about living.

Joonie said...

Great! Beyond GREAT! ;)

Parker said...

I just checked with Amazon and Borders and they don't know what I am talking about. So exactly when will your book be on the shelves?

Kimala - yes I do believe you have rescued many a pony for the manure pile.