Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sometimes.......I tell ya

Sometimes I feel like just chuckin' SL. My actions aren't quick enough, I put people in bad positions, I don't focus enough, I think I'm better than other people. And this is fun in what way? I've learned stuff about myself in SL that I do not like, first and foremost. I have had a hand in some bad situations.

But I'm me. Warts and all. My name is Dave, I have four kids that are a source of love and frustration. I love my wife but I drive her nuts and she can drive me nuts at times. We live in a real house with a real mortgage that is real high. MB20 wasn't lying when they told us life is hard.

When is enough SL enough? When it is just another layer of complexity that is thrown onto pre-existing ones? Kim likes to use the wheelbarrow analogy: the wheelbarrow is full and you are throwing more bricks into it? I have a strong back, a real strong back. My avis name isn't some lameass sexual reference. bigd. I'm tall, and I like being able to bring it if I have to.

You ever felt like you are painted into a corner? What a shitty feeling that is. Doesn't matter who applied the paint job, it just flat out sucks. If you are reading this and saying to yourself, "he must really dislike someone." WRONG!! I'm tired of having my actions put under a microscope and then the entire microscope put under another larger microscope. Dang....

I've only encountered one avi in my entire time in SL who was flat out not right. They are long gone. I like you guys. I love some of you. I'm tired. I'm bruised and I'm battered. I'm just me and human......

7 comments:

Yamis Jewell said...

Don't be so hard on yourself, Dave. We all in SL carry our wheelbarrows too heavy, which doesn't make it right, but you are not alone on learning how to balance it and carry it along. The question is - do you want to? Every action, every emotion, every statement in SL is magnified to an intensity rarely seen in RL. It takes a strong human to help their avi live there. From the outside your doing great. How's it working for you?

Kimala said...

Dave... you named your avi bigd because that's what your uncle used to call you when you were a little boy. It is a cherished nickname from a really good man. What people don't realize about you lots of times is that you are naturally a quiet observer. I know that about you. But quiet in SL is often misinterpreted, just as in RL. People wonder if you are standoffish, aloof, plotting, etc. If people had a webcam view into our RL while we are on SL, I think they would have a better grasp. I didn't make the Queen of BRB title for nothin. You signed 4 sets of school paperwork, worked with me to find the 1 missing one, grilled burgers and hot dogs, and helped 2 with homework - 1 of which is struggling and he is only 5. You are RIGHT! Our wheelbarrel is beyond full. SL should be fun. If people misinterpret your afk for something else, hang up your busy sign. That way people know you aren't really there. Get back to enjoying the things there are to enjoy - the crazy banter and the good music. From what I know of you - that was what keeps you there.

I am officially unpainting you from all corners and just threw a giant thing of paint remover on you and the corner. Come on out. Maybe all you need is a good spanking to snap yourself back into it ;)

91225

Yordie Sands said...

We've all been there, Big Dave. I don't know you well, but I'm glad I know you and hope you don't chuck SL although I understand the feeling very well.

BTW, in Texas, "Big D" is a nickname for Dallas, there's even a Broadway musical song named BigD. People who find sexual inferences in things are often just looking for them.

Hugzzz

Parker said...

/me runs over with lots of bandages and splints and TLC.

Your name? I always thought it was just as Kimala confirmed. I do agree with Yordie. It is ones mind seeking sexual reference that will find it. Be it Dave, BigD or SheD - to me SurferBoy.

I find for myself that I become overwhelmed and want to walk out of Second Life when I lose sight of my reasons for being there. As long as I remember those reasons I feel it easier not to be part of the drama going on around me.

So be AFK to take care of your family. I am another who is very glad to know you at all. It is ones like you and Kimala that that help to restore my faith in 'family'.

Me said...

Well *I* thought it was a sexual reference.

I won't lie about it. :)

But I was totally okay with that.

/me nods.

Kimala said...

that's my partner in crime!!! *kisses blissie for her dirty mind*

LOL WOOT!

:) Kim

Bradley said...

Sending a big hug to you D. Okay, okay, maybe I'll steal a kiss to when I can catch you off guard. :-)